Stantec - Burlington, MA Project Center (MQP)
Stantec is a global consulting firm specializing in engineering, architecture, environmental sciences, project economics and more. The firm has operations in Canada, the United States and the Caribbean. To date, students have completed projects for Stantec in Edmonton, Alberta; Lexington, Kentucky; and Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Dates will be posted at the top of this page.
A range of Civil and Environmental Engineering project topics are possible at both Stantec offices in the Boston area (Boston and Westford). You should visit stantec.com to get more information on featured projects that have been conducted at these offices. Depending on student interest and available project opportunities, an appropriate CEE faculty advisor will be available for your project. You are also encouraged to speak to a CEE faculty member to discus their project topic interests.
- Renewable energy applications - Creating an energy best practices manual for assessing renewable energy opportunities at various locations
- Construction - Assessing various dam construction techniques for dam rehabilitation projects along the Kentucky River
- Sustainable community design - Determining the most successful methods of incorporating sustainability into various aspects of community planning and design
- Other projects have focused on college sustainability design, sustainable landscape architecture, coal combustion by-products, and sustainable transportation practices.
CEE faculty advisors will be selected from a number of faculty members including, but not limited to Professors LePage, Bergendahl, Hart, Mathisen, Sakulich and Albano.
Students will be billed the following fees by WPI for the WPI semester they are away. These will be billed to you on the regular WPI billing cycle (i.e. Fall semester, and Spring semester).
- WPI Tuition and Fees
- WPI Housing Fee (if applicable)
- WPI Meal Plan (if applicable, reduced for term away)
- Global Projects Program Housing and Program Fee (for applicable programs)
In addition to this, students should budget for the following while away:
- Local transportation
- Airfare (if applicable)
- Tourist activities and incidentals
- Project related incidentals
A breakdown of all estimated expenses for Stantec can be found here: Stantec Estimated Expense
WPI is committed to the health, safety, and security of all students who participate in our programs. While off-campus study can present unique challenges and inherent risks, we believe that careful research and diligent planning are keys to a safe and rewarding project experience. WPI utilizes several key resources to understand the risks of travel in the countries where we operate, and we urge you to consult these same resources as you research your intended destination. You can also discuss questions and concerns about your travel plans with on-campus resources such as the IGSD, the Student Health Center, the Office of Disability Services, and the Student Development and Counseling Center. It very important that you consider your own health requirements as you review what sites are most interesting to you.